Family flees home after venomous spiders hatch from banana

A Brazilian Wandering spider. Image: Wikimedia Commons
A family was forced to temporarily abandon their home after dozens of venomous spiders hatched from a banana.

The Taylors, of Hampton in south-west London, spent several nights in a hotel while their house was fumigated.

Mrs Consi Taylor was the first to spot the creatures, which dropped off the banana while she was eating it.

She told the Sun: "I got halfway through the banana when I saw something white on the skin. I thought it was mould but when I had a closer look I saw some funny looking spots.

"I had a closer look and was horrified to see they were spiders."

They were later identified as Brazilian Wandering spiders, listed in the 2010 Guinness World Records as the world's most venomous spider.

Few people die from the creature's bites, however, and antivenom treatment is readily available.

The Taylors had purchased the banana from a branch of Sainsbury's.

The supermarket has apologised for the incident, and has paid £1,000 to cover the family's hotel bill, fumigation and dry cleaning.

No comments:


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...